Other factors to consider when rennovating:
- Will you hire a general contractor? As a general rule of thumb, GCs charge 10-20% of the total cost of the renovation. However, a good GC can save you this cost easily if he or she has the right connections and coordinates the job efficiently.
- Are you able to do any of the work yourself? Consider saving money by doing the demolition and clean up yourself. A pickup truck load out to Hartland is $30. If you hire someone they will charge $200 for the load.
- Paint yourself. Paint is relatively cheap and you can buy the materials needed to paint a home for $500-$1000. Don’t forget to paint the ceiling first!
- Shop for deals on light fixtures from Costco and Home Depot. You pay a huge premium for a showroom style fixture store and for the plumber to purchase them on your behalf.
- Trim work and laminate flooring is relatively easy to install with the right tools and Youtube videos. In Victoria Saanich Rentals and Home Depot both have tools available.
- Expect the unexpected. The scope of a renovation has a tendency to change on its own. If you are opening up any walls in an older home, new BC building code requires you to address any non-compliant deficiencies you find.